In honor of hitting 100,000 hits over here on 1979 Semi-Finalist I’m going to steal an idea from my friend Holly over at Beyond The Air. Holly did a great “Best Of Post” a little while ago that inspired me to revisit the comics I have really loved over Rabid Lamb’s brief year long-ish history, in honor of my 100,000 Hit-0-versary. As usual with lists I do it half in the hope it will re-inspire me to draw more comics and half just because I love me some lists. So here goes…the Top 15 Rabid Lamb Comics…as picked by yours truly. Below the jump, I also list the Top 5 Rabid Lamb Comics, based solely on hit numbers…it’s an interesting difference. And at the very bottom…1979 Semi-Finalist’s first ever POLL!
15. Rabid Lamb Comic #063. I hate the drawing in this one, but LOVE the gag. You see, it’s funny because it’s true.
14. Rabid Lamb Comic #155. This is the first comic in a short series about Adam with a deer head. Adam is largely responsible for this bit and it’s great.
13. Rabid Lamb Comic #156. The conclusion to #155 – great stuff!
12. Rabid Lamb Comics #157. A little riff on the previous “deer head” strip.
11. Rabid Lamb Comic #158. The end of that little “deer strip” – which was some of the most fun I had with Rabid Lamb – and which I don’t despise the drawing on…except panel two of this strip (just terrible!).
10. Rabid Lamb Comic #085. There’s something about the simplicity of this one that always loved…that and the fact that it’s an actual conversation…pretty much word for word. Those tend to be some of my favorites.
9. Rabid Lamb Comic # – Guest Artist Adam Greene. This probably deserves to be higher than #9 on the list…Adam’s cartooning is so far above mine it’s ridiculous. I will say that he took forever to draw this and at the time I was doing five strips a week…we can’t all be michaelfreakingangelo when posting five strips a week and working full time…can we Adam? But I LOVE everything about this.
8. Rabid Lamb Comic #124. The only strip to make my list and the “Top 5 Readers List”. I loved drawing the Adam and Kelly stick figures, if only because it helped the creativity and allowed the strip to become something more than a journal comic….which when you live the boring life I do gets very old very fast. Panel #4 is one of my favorite panels of all time – the expression and dialogue are just dead on.
Click more to see the rest of the list…and to see the Top 5 Comics according to you the reader…there’s also a poll at the end…whee!…
7. Rabid Lamb Comic #075. I’m not sure why I like this one. I guess the story is very true and very me and the cartooning is pretty good in this one overall.
6. Rabid Lamb Comic #079. LOVE this one…perhaps I should move it up the list. It’s the perfect combination of absolutely ridiculous and absolutely true…I love it when those two things come together. The drawing is a bit “eh” though – Adam looks ridiculous in panel #1.
5. Rabid Lamb Comic #089. I love the art in this one (which is exceedingly rare) and the gag isn’t bad either. Also this strip has an awesome ability to remind me exactly how pissed I was while watching that movie. In fact, reading this now, I’m still pissed.
4. Rabid Lamb Comic #120. The “UNN!” heard round the world. This could get picked based solely on how much great dialogue and how many in-jokes it created. Go “UNN!” Go!
2. Rabid Lamb Comic #115. This one isn’t so flashy, but I love the hell out of it. It’s a great example Adam’s and my dialogue together (I think)…the kind of repartee we have…and it’s probably the best drawing I did on any single strip. Yeah, I love this one. It would be #1…but #1 is something that cannot be taken over by merely good drawing…
1. Rabid Lamb Comic #061. THE DANCING ADAM! No other words are necessary.
Conversely, here are the Top 5 Rabid Lamb Comics as picked by “you the reader”. These are the five Rabid Lamb Comics with the largest hit numbers…surprisingly, only one of them makes my Top 15, not so surprisingly several of them involve celebrities…naked and otherwise…
5. Rabid Lamb Comic #027. I think we can all see what the appeal is here…
4. Rabid Lamb Comic #111. I have no idea what the appeal is here though. I mean, I kind of dig it because of the “curing cancer” bit, but it’s not well drawn or full of boobs or anything so how it gets into heavy rotation I have no idea.
3. Rabid Lamb Comic #004. Wow. We’re going back here! Having been around so long might have helped it in the numbers arena. This strip gives newer readers a chance to see the strip before I figured out how to best format it for the WordPress layout I have (yikes). I actually think this strip is a good concept – just poorly formatted…and kind of sloppily drawn. Maybe I should re-draw it…hmmm…
2. Rabid Lamb Comic #139. Mila Kunis…who knew? I mean she IS freaking gorgeous, especially in Forgetting Sarah Marshall…but I never knew she had the staying power to make this comic #2 in hits of all time.
#1. Rabid Lamb Comic #124. Since this is in my top 15, I can’t really argue. Stick figures and jokes and giant penises…who can argue with that?
Comments are now closed.